Monday, May 11, 2015

GAIN Performance Record - Drawing

Google Drawings...never heard of it and never used it. That is until today. I started out by watching several of the videos and reading up on this application. A lot of these tutorials made it seem like the most simple thing in the world to use. However, I find for me, that some aspects of this are not as easy as the comparable applications Paint. One of the parts I liked most about Drawing was the "line-up" feature. This made it very easy to make sure that things were parallel and perpendicular and centered the way I wanted them. I did feel as though it was tough to make certain looks that I wanted (ex: the square tree trunk). I am so used to drawing it exactly the way I need it then using the fill button to color in the outlined area not matter what the shape was when using Paint. The use of layering shapes is something that I seemed to struggle with while using this application. See image below for example.




I really believe that this is an application, that if used for artistry, will take some time to get the hang of. However, I believe the defined shapes would be a huge advantage inside the classroom.

My first thought, like many others I am sure is Geometry.With the ability to do so many definite shapes, students would be able to use this application and potentially could remove hand drawing with a protractor and compass. Students have an ability to draw, flip, rotate, and mirror shapes in order to accomplish the assigned task at hand. Also, once again, this is another way to visually stimulate students when having lessons. When looking at the lesson plan for middle school, I was fascinated by the use of this program to perform the tangram square. This looked very much like a fun puzzle that students have an opportunity to solve. The lesson called for students to work with a partner for the activity. Again, Google Apps ability to collaborate is second to none in my opinion.

As teachers, this application can help achieve several common core standards. It can be used to help students in speaking and listening by giving them an opportunity to explain their product to their peers. The Graham text also mentions the common core standard that the students must be able to understand charts, graphs, and diagrams that are displayed (p132). Giving students the opportunity to dive in to these types of productions by creation and demonstration will help them better understand how to create things to display their purpose. It will also help them understand what message someone is conveying when they look at one.

Overall, Google Drawing is yet another application that can be used to reach students in a new and somewhat unconventional way. With some extra practice, one could become rather handy at it and be able to create whatever necessary for the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Paint is a pixel based program, while Drawing is vector based - 2 different approaches to drawing. You are correct in observing the strength and weakness of vector-based art. The biggest advantage may be the smaller file size for vector based art.

    Well written! :-)

    ReplyDelete