Working with Forms is something that I really like the idea of using. I had never set one up before, so I was ready to learn (especially after using them in CPED 5005). I looked at several tutorials on how to set one up but, for me, the written instructions worked the best. I had absolutely no problem setting up the quiz, however, once I was finished I was not sure how to make the self grading portion show up. When I finally got the spreadsheet up, it all began to make sense. I really like the options available for questions. While it does need to be definite answer, multiple choice is not the only option. I believe this could really save time on grading. A lot of times, by the time a teacher finishes all of the necessary grading, they have little time to lesson plan or are too exhausted to put much effort into it. All of this can be avoided with self grading Forms. Check out my Form and spreadsheet below:
Quiz
Grading Spreadsheet
As you can see from my grading spreadsheet, I have set a simple conditional format that tells whether a question is right or wrong based on color (green=right, red=wrong). This will give me a quick glance without even looking inside the cell to see which answers were frequently missed. The great thing about this is you can format it however you want. It is not hard to manipulate the formulas in order to gather the data you need and create a snapshot of what you want. I see myself using this at every chance possible inside the classroom.
The Graham text in chapter 7 only affirms my former statements. Google Forms can be used a number of ways inside the classroom. First, and the most obvious, is grading. "Teachers are bombarded with collecting data concerning student performance" (p115). This is true not only for grading but also for other things (i.e. contacts with parents, discipline, attendance, etc.). Using Google Forms can give an instant snapshot at how students are doing overall inside the classroom. This real time information can make it possible to act quickly in case students need special attention.
Google Forms can also be used for surveys. By using this app as a survey mechanism, older students can fulfil Common Core Standard 7.1. This states that students will "present information, findings, and supporting evidence" (p116). This will give students the chance to report their findings and give some sort of reasoning behind it. Another standard, that we have seen throughout, is the ability to use digital media to express information gathered. Using forms and self-grading (or self-assessment in surveys) gives the viewer instant results to support the questions being asked. It is accessible through sharing so that you can reach whatever audience you want to gather data from.
The Google Forms lesson has given me a base knowledge to create these easy to use documents that can be created for many purposes in the classroom. I plan on trying to implement these in every way possible in order to maximize my time and energy into the appropriate areas of education.
Outstanding!
ReplyDelete