Friday, May 8, 2015

TECH Performance Record - Tablets in Education

For this PR I will focus mainly on the use of iPads in education. As mentioned before, and as others would suggest, iPads take the lead in many areas of tablet use. This is why I believe that these are the tools that need to be used to enhance education in the classroom. Inside the classroom setting, there are numerous advantages to using this technology.

When comparing iPads with other tablets in a previous post, the assessment was that generally these are the more expensive tablets. While this may be true in most cases, the cost of an iPad does not compare to the cost of buying books over and over throughout the years. Schools are constantly having to buy new books because, a) the ones they bought last year are already outdated, b) the ones they assigned to students last year somehow didn't make it back to storage, or c) "my dog ate my book." These 3 scenarios (along with countless others I'm sure) can cause for serious money year and year that you are dumping into the exact same product. This just does not make sense. With iPads in the classroom, you can toss out this reoccurring problem. Also with using technology comes more ways to use technology. Instead of staring at black words on white paper day in and day out, these online textbooks have the ability for students to interact with the lessons imbedded in them. These are only a couple of reason why bringing iPad to the classroom can be successful.

As I looked into the article 55 ways to use an iPad, I focused in on the iPad Apps for School section. Since I really enjoy math, I wanted to see what they said concerning the use of the iPad. In Richard Byrne's article "Two Math Apps that Have Students Slicing Numbers," (http://ipadapps4school.com/) he discusses Math Slicer and Factor Samurai. These are cheap apps that can help students learn in a fun interactive way (again, no white paper with black writing). Math slicer has a fun side to it that students can connect to because it has similar animation to a very popular app, Fruit Ninja. Numbers scroll through the screen and the student must slice the correct answer to the problem. I really like how this takes a very well know concept that kids love and integrates it into learning. I imagine this is a big hit. The app Factor Samurai is a similar concept that helps students learn prime numbers. If a number can be split, then they slice. This is just another way to let students interact and have fun while learning.

Following the math trend, I wanted to take a look at the article on ESchool news at http://www.eclassroomnews.com/2011/06/02/new-jersey-district-plans-ipad-only-algebra-course/ . This is a huge accomplishment for any school, but this article focuses on on district in New Jersey who was the first to implement in the state. Some of the things it mentions is that the students can get step-by-step animated instructions. We have learned about several resources already in class that could assist with this step (Jing). Another advantage to this, which I really like, is the instant feedback. Nothing is more exhausting than waiting on your score after a big assignment/test. With this capability, the teacher also has more time to prepare and plan for lessons, as well as more availability for student interaction. You want to know the economical impact of this? The article quotes the superintendent of the school as saying that without this app, they would be issuing student a 950 page textbook. With 60 students enrolled in this pilot course, that's a total of 57,000 pages of paper alone. Not only is the economical for our wallets, it's environmental as well. Lets use some of this technology and turn things around. I want to leave this place in better shape than when I got here for my daughter to enjoy.

Lastly, I think that we need to be moving toward a world of "BYOD" (Bring Your Own Device). Let's be real, everyone has one anyway! Mobile devices are everywhere and instead of yanking them from hands or telling students to put them away, let's use them. This could cut down on the amount needed for the school. Due to demographics no matter what area you are in, it is safe to assume not everyone will have one. However, the article makes a great suggestion to have local businesses or community organizations donate to make up the difference. One concern that some state is how will you deter potential distractions (i.e. surfing the internet, Twitter, Facebook, etc). I would like to give a personal example. I can distinctly remember the transition time from a "dumbphone" to a smartphone. When I had only a "dumbphone" I would get so aggravated over certain things.
  1. Driving/Riding with some friends and we can't find something, but no one with a smartphone will pull it out and help
  2. Gosh...I can't think of that singer's name on the radio....if only I could look it up on my phone
  3. No I didn't get your email. I have been driving all day. If I could I would answer them all
Then came time for my very own smartphone. Believed me, I fulfilled all of my fantasies that I mentioned above, but wouldn't you know it, the new wore off. I now find myself not grabbing my phone to Google everything that comes to mind. "I'm sorry, I am on vacation and really don't care what you have to say right now," and the list goes on. Laura Devaney's article quotes a board member that is a proponent of this, "The novelty wears off and the move from using Facebook to using the device for academic purposes" (p3). So if you are prepared up front knowing things may start out bumpy, I believe there will be great results from sticking with this method. ( http://www.eschoolnews.com/2011/04/29/bring-your-own-device-catching-on-in-schools/5/ )

Using iPads in education can be such a valuable tool in reaching the students and preparing them for their future. As teachers, we need to prepare ourselves the best we can to be pioneers in our schools and help promote this technology for all of the good it can do.


1 comment: